Information about Us.Help in getting the most from this guide.Complete list of pages.Site Statistics.How to advertise with us.Access the site through your i-mode telephone.
Surviving In FukuokarestaurantsFor symposium and conference visitors.Bars and Clubs
You are in: Fukuoka: Places To Go: Ohori Koen (park)


Open/Closed:
Open:Every day, all day.
Closed:In-park parking closes at 10pm
Related Links:
Art Museum
Japanese Gardens

Hana-no-ki

Martial Arts Centre
Notes:
  Pay Parking
  Good local pk.



Ohori Koen (park)
Type: City Parks | Walks  (Qjmp: 7052)


Pleasant city park with Chinese theme and man made lake.


Information by Staff

Ohori park is a compact but nationally famous park built around an artificial lake that was once part of the moat of Fukuoka castle. Opened in 1929 it has a Chinese theme, (it is modeled on the Xi Hi lake in China) and it is possible to walk across the centre of the lake on a series of Chinese style bridges and small islands. Although close to the centre of the city, the park manages to be lushly green most of the year round and provides a pleasant haven from the concrete of Tenjin. There is a boathouse from which one can hire rowing boats and a famous French restaurant - "Hana no ki".

After a walk around the moonlit castle grounds what could be more pleasant than to sit in the shade of large tree and look out over the lake, before dinner in a good restaurant?

In the evenings the 2.2 km path around the lake proves irresistable to hordes of joggers and at weekend it can become downright crowded. In neither case does it ever become unpleasant.

Late at night, the view across the lake towards the floodlit Fukuoka Tower is rather splendid.

The park hosts a magnificent fireworks display in August and is descended on by Fukuokans in their thousands in Cherry Blossom season...

History
Originally this was an inlet of Hakata Bay called "Kusagae." In the early 1600's Kuroda Nagamasa reclaimed part of this inlet. Fukuoka Port was built at the base of Mt. Aratsu (now Nishi Park) and the inner extremity of the inlet was used as the moat of Fukuoka castle.

The area was redeveloped in 1925 as part of the preparations for the Toa Fukuoka Exposition.

Park entrance is close to subway station 


It is a pleasant evening's stroll out of Tenjin, along the castle moat (or what is left of it), and around the park.

Check out the Art Museum and Japanese gardens on the South side.






French restaurant in the park



Boating available in season



Take the subway to Ohori Koen subway station.

Alternatively, walk up Keiyaki dori out of Tenjin. It is a pleasant half an hours stroll on a spring or autumn evening.




1 min from Ohori-koen st'n on foot.



(#10,15,20,21)
3 min from Ohori Koen b'stop on foot.



Printer Icon  Transport Network Map  See this Locality  Localities Map


First published Tue Jul 11, 2000
    Updated Mon Jun 18, 2001


« back

Search Again?


By Area/Subway/Station: Select an area or station and press go.

help

By Name: Type the first few letters of the place to go name:

By Type: Note, the same place to go may appear in more than one category.

Walks (3)
Drives (1)

Recent Additions: (last 10 added)


Google
Web City Guide
Kyushu Fixers
         | Disclaimer | Home | Contact | Volunteer | Privacy | Licence |
 

This site powered by Cogito Ltd. © 2000/2005. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced or stored in a retrieval system.
Cogito Ltd is an Amazon Associate.